Sexual dysfunctions, also known as Psychosexual Dysfunctions, is the failure to achieve sexual satisfaction and arousal either because of physical, physiological or psychological issues. Common types of sexual dysfunctions are categorized as impotence i.e. incapability to sustain penile erection in men and frigidity i.e. incapability of women to achieve orgasm / arousal during sex.
Common types of sexual disorders / dysfunctions in both men and women:
- Hypo-sexuality (little or no sexual excitement)
- Anorgasmia (continuous inability to achieve orgasm in women)
- Vaginismus (vaginal muscles contract during sex, consequently, gives rise to difficult penetration)
- Dyspareunia (painful sex experienced in women)
- Erectile impotence, (inability to sustain an erection)
- Ejaculatory impotence (inhibited orgasm in men)
- Premature ejaculation (ejaculation takes places before or immediately after starting intercourse)
Call Us For Free Consultation
Classification of sexual dysfunctions:
Sexual dysfunctions are classified into four classes:
- Desire disorders: low or no desire / sexual interest
- Arousal disorders: excitement / arousal inability during sexual intercourse
- Orgasm disorders: absence or delaying of orgasm
- Pain disorders: painful intercourse.
Who is at risk of developing sexual dysfunction?
Sexual dysfunction can occur at any age, though it is more common in those over 40 because it’s often related to aging. Men and women both can develop sexual dysfunctions might be as a consequence of age or as an effect of stress or medicines etc.
What are the symptoms of sexual dysfunction?
- Erectile dysfunction i.e. Inability to sustain erection
- Delayed or absent ejaculation
- Early or premature ejaculation
- Incapability to reach orgasm
- Insufficient lubrication of vagina before and during sexual intercourse
- Failure to relax the vaginal muscle for intercourse
In both men and women:
- Lack of interest or desire for sex.
- Inability to become aroused.
- Pain with intercourse.
What causes sexual dysfunction?
Physical causes of sexual dysfunction: Diseases like diabetes, neurological disorders, diseases and chronic systemic diseases such as liver or kidney failure, alcohol and drug addiction. The side effects of some medicines, i.e. anti depressant drugs, and proton pump inhibitors can also affect sexual function.
Psychological causes of sexual dysfunction: Study or work-related stress, depression, marital or relationship problems, anxiety, excessive worry about sexual performance, poor sense of body image, inferiority complex both in males and females can give rise to sexual dysfunctions.
How sexual dysfunctions are diagnosed?
For the diagnosis of sexual dysfunction your health care provider usually starts with the complete history of physical and psychological symptoms, i.e. you might report something to be wrong with your sexual health. Physician may suggest diagnostic tests to look for medical problems that might be causing the dysfunction.
Psychological screening involving the evaluation of behavior about sex, and other possible causative factors like, anxiety, fear or past sexual abuse, relationship issues, medications or drug abuse, etc. helps in a better understanding of the underlying cause of the problem and recommend the right treatment.
Treatment of sexual dysfunction:
Treatment strategies for sexual dysfunctions include the following:
- Pharmacological / medicine related treatment of sexual dysfunctions:
Medication: If a medicine is the cause of dysfunction, an alteration in the type of medicine may help. Hormone shots are available for men and women with hormonal problems. For men, drugs, including sildenafil, tadalafil and vardenafil may help improve sexual function. For women, hormonal options such as estrogen and testosterone can be used and to treat low desire, including flibanserin and bremelanotide are prescribed usually.
- Psychological treatment of sexual dysfunctions:
Behavioral treatments: Behavioral treatment for sexual dysfunctions includes several practices, together with eradication of harmful behaviors in the relationship, or usage of procedures such as self-stimulation for treatment of orgasm and arousal.
Psychotherapy: Therapy with a trained psychotherapist can address you to overcome sexual trauma (if any), fear, anxiety, poor body image and guilt etc., or all other factors that may disturb sexual function.
Psychological Counselling / Education: Awareness and proper information about sexual responses and sexual behaviors might help to overcome the fears and concerns about sexual functions. Communication with your partner about your needs and distress also helps in overcoming most of the barriers to a healthy sexual life.
Sexual dysfunctions might being a concern to you, but it should not be a big concern as the prognosis for sexual dysfunctions and the treatment availability according to symptoms is good enough to meet your concerns. At First Light Psychological Services, our team of trained professionals are helping many individuals to get through the symptoms of personality disorders, for the treatment of sexual dysfunctions / disorders in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY we have effectively assisted many patients having sexual dysfunctions in getting back to their normal lives. Connect with us for the treatment of following sexual dysfunctions:
- Treatment of Hypo-sexuality (little or no sexual excitement) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY.
- Treatment of Anorgasmia (continuous inability to achieve orgasm in women) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY
- Treatment of Vaginismus (vaginal muscles contract during sex, consequently, gives rise to difficult penetration) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY
- Treatment of Dyspareunia (painful sex experienced in women) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, N
- Treatment of Erectile impotence, (inability to sustain an erection) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY
- Treatment of Ejaculatory impotence (inhibited orgasm in men) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY
- Treatment of Premature ejaculation (ejaculation takes places before or immediately after starting intercourse) in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY