Pedophilic disorder is a type of paraphilic disorder, characterized by recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors of adults towards children, prepubescent or young adolescents.
If you feel like dealing with pedophilia and want to get rid of the disturbing disorder, connect with us today at First Light Psychological Services, to seek consultation, assessment, and treatment for the disorder. In Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY we have successfully treated a number of patients to get back to their normal days of life.
Causes of Pedophilia
A possible element in the development of pedophilias is a history of childhood sexual abuse, however, this has not been verified. According to behavioral learning theories, a kid who witnesses or is the victim of improper sexual activities may be conditioned to replicate such actions.
Feeling like being the victim of the above-mentioned causes of the disorder?
Start your therapy now, schedule a consultation today with First Light Psychological Services, to seek treatment in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY, and let us help you identify and treat your causes of pedophilia to improve the quality of your life.
Symptoms of Pedophilic Disorder
• Recurrent, strong sexually arousing thoughts, sexual impulses, or actions involving sexual interaction with a prepubescent kid or children for at least 6 months (usually age 13 years or younger).
• The individual is at least 16 years old and at least 5 years older than the kid or children in the first group.
• A late adolescent participating in an ongoing sexual relationship with a 12- or 13-year-old is not included.
If you are suffering from these distressing symptoms of pedophilia, feel free to book for the treatment of the disorder in Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY while meeting the experts on the floor, ready to help you to get rid of the disorder.
Risk Factors of Pedophilic Disorder
There are some people who are at a higher risk of having pedophilic disorder, there appears to be a link between pedophilia and antisocialism, with individuals who share both features being more likely to engage in sexual conduct with children. As a result, antisocial personality disorder might be linked to pedophilic disorder. Second, many adult males with pedophilia report having been sexually assaulted as a kid; this may or may not be indicative of a causal association. Finally, each element that raises the likelihood of pedophilia raises the risk of pedophilic disorder as well. Neurodevelopmental disruption in utero might be one of these reasons.
Diagnosis of Pedophilic Disorder
To be diagnosed with pedophilic disorder, the following criteria must be satisfied, according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5).
• For a period of at least 6 months, recurrent, intense sexual fantasies, urges, or behaviors involving sexual activity with a prepubescent child (generally age 13 or younger); these sexual urges have been acted on or have caused significant distress or impairment in occupational, social, or other important areas of life.
• The individual is at least 16 years old and at least 5 years older than the victim’s child. This does not, however, include a late adolescent who is engaging in a continuing sexual relationship with a 12- or 13-year-old.
• A pedophilic disorder diagnosis should also describe whether the person is solely attracted to youngsters or not, the gender to whom the person is drawn, and whether the sexual impulses are confined to pedophilia.
If you are diagnosed with pedophilia, we have treatment programs available at First Light Psychological Services, Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY. Our team of experts are assisting the patients in the treatment of pedophilia in accordance with their symptoms. We also provide diagnostic evaluations to look for the signs of pedophilia in patients having the symptoms, to provide better and effective treatment.
Treatment of Pedophilic Disorder
Individuals with pedophilic disorder have been effectively treated using cognitive-behavioral methods. Victim empathy, assertiveness training, relapse prevention, as well as confronting the individual’s cognitive distortions, and teaching lifetime maintenance are all used in these methods. In the end, this type of therapy will assist the offender to relate with the victim and rectify a pedophile’s attitudes and beliefs that youngsters want to be part of the activity.
Medication is often used at the same time along with psychotherapy. These medications involve:
• Antiandrogens, such as Lupron and Provera are used which can help to lower the hyperactive sex drive.
• Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, which treat associated compulsive sexual disorders and reduce the symptoms related to stress and anxiety.
At First Light Psychological Services, Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY we are utilizing a holistic approach for the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of Pedophilia.